Some movies related to running.
Included are links to IMDB.com. Not all movies are available for streaming but most are.
Based on a True Story
- Race (2016) - Story of Jesse Owens, Olympic sprinter.
- Prefontaine (1997) - Story of Steve Prefontaine, America's greatest distance runner.
- Without Limits (1998) - Story of Steve Prefontaine, America's greatest distance runner.
- Running Brave (1983) - Story of Billy Mills, American 10,000 meter runner, Olympian.
- Chariots of Fire (1981) - Story of Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell, British Olympians in the 1924 Olympics.
- Unbroken (2014) - After a near-fatal plane crash in WWII, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a harrowing 47 days in a raft with two fellow crewmen before he's caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.
- McFarland, USA (2015) - Story of McFarland (CA) High School cross country team and coach Jim White. In one of the poorest towns in America, Jim White turned the cross country team into perennial state champions.
- The Jericho Mile (1979) - Larry "Rain" Murphy is stuck in Folsom Prison for life on a first-degree murder charge. An inmate who prefers to be alone, Murphy spends much of his time running around the facility's track. When he begins reaching a mile in under four minutes, Murphy gains the attention of the jail's officials, who contemplate entering him in the Olympics. While Murphy is initially resistant to the idea, eventually he starts training to be an Olympic competitor.
- Running (1979) - American marathon runner Michael Andropolis sets his heart on representing his country at the Olympic games. Meanwhile his marriage has fallen apart and his children have no respect for him. He sets out on his task with determination and hope that his success will resolve his personal problems.
- The Games (1970) - Four marathon runners (one from England, one from the U.S., a Czech and an Australian Aborigine) prepare to run in the Olympic games. The film follows each one and shows what their motivations are for running in the games.
- Saint Ralph (2004) - Saint Ralph is the unlikely story of Ralph Walker, a ninth grader who outran everyone's expectations except his own in his bold quest of trying to win the 1954 Boston Marathon.
- Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) - Based on the classic book. A juvenile offender impresses the reform school Governor with running abilities. He is in turn given special privileges to encourage him to win a race against the local public school, but he is therefore teased his fellow rebellious peers.
- Walk Don't Run (1966) - During the housing shortage of the Summer Olympic Games in 1964, two men and a woman share a small apartment in Tokyo, and the older man soon starts playing Cupid to the younger pair.
- On the Edge (1986) - In one final attempt to achieve victory, an aging professional runner is training vigorously for a very tough marathon race.